The City of Vancouver regulates how property is used and developed through something called “zoning.” The city is divided up into many different zoning districts and each has its own set of bylaws and schedules that determine the purpose of that particular district, building regulations, and other aspects of development. Learn more about the city’s zoning districts here.

Want to know what zone your property or one you’re interested in is part of? Check out the city’s official directory.

So you know what a zone is and which one you’re a part of. Next step: rezoning. There are three types of rezoning:

1. Create a custom, site-specific zone
2. Change the zoning of an area from one standard zoning district to another
3. Change the rules about what is permitted within a specific zone


Once you’ve chosen how you want to rezone, it’s time to inquire and apply:

1. Contact the Rezoning Centre
2. Submit a written enquiry
3. Attend a pre-application meeting
4. Submit your application for rezoning

Find out how the city processes rezoning applications here.

Zoning can seem like a formidable process, but its benefit is to encourage sustainable land use and building in accordance with community goals for a common future. By regulating the development of property, zoning helps to maintain Vancouver’s aesthetic and high standard-of-living; reasons we all want to live here to start with.

Want to know more about how the City of Vancouver operates in regards to Urban Planning, Zoning and Development? Visit their inclusive website at

(Photo: Colin Knowles)
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.