Family Day isn’t necessarily just for families. It’s a much-needed stat holiday during the bleak days of winter that turns an ordinary Monday in February into your best chance to relax and recharge. Here are the top five ways to stretch the most amount of fun out of your three-day weekend.
1. Both Whistler and Grouse Mountain are offering 50% off for BC residents. Head up the Sea-to-Sky for some of North America’s best skiing, the Fire and Ice Show, tubing, and luxury accommodations. Stick closer to home but still get the best in winter activities--from boarding and snowshoeing, to sliding and skating--at Grouse Mountain. For the full schedule of special Family Day events happening, visit Whistlerblackcomb.com and Grousemountain.com.
2. Sip your way to decadence at the 6th annual Hot Chocolate Festival, happening through February 15th. 25 participants showcasing 59 crazy flavours are taking part to support the downtown eastside’s Women’s Job Training Program. Get your walking map here, and let the indulgence begin!
3. Have littles? Community centers around the lower mainland are hosting various Family Day activities. With everything from arts and crafts to bouncy castles and more, there’ll be something for every tyke. Check with your neighbourhood centres for a schedule of events.
4. The Bloedel Conservatory is one of the city’s best, little known gems. Tropical forests and flowers, over 200 free-flying birds, and the healing gardens designed to engage your senses for total well-being beckon from the top of Queen Elizabeth Park.
5. Unplug and Unwind. Put aside your smartphones, tablets, and power down those computers for one day of true R & R. Business can wait out one stat holiday, your family is hopefully with you anyway, and friends are just an old-fashioned phone call away. Make screentime a dirty word for the day and reconnect with true facetime.
Wishing you all a very Happy Family Day from the Andrew Hasman team.
(Photo: Mark Burge)