Whether it’s catching some waves, rays, or whatever adventure is around the next bend, there’s a beach getaway for every taste.
1. Barbados boasts 60 beaches to choose from. Surf’s up on the east coast whereas true R & R seekers will prefer calmer waters on the west coast. Besides being one of the most sophisticated tropical islands in the Caribbean--dressing up for dinner is an honoured tradition--Barbados offers spelunking and reef diving for thrill-seekers and rum plantation tours for history enthusiasts. There’s also a Food, Wine & Rum Festival mid-November for the foodies.
2. Tried and true, Hawaii has something new to offer on Oahu’s North Shore. A Courtyard by Marriott has set up shop for easy-access to some of the best stretch of beach on the island. Historically a world-class surfing mecca, the North Shore hosts the world’s premier surfing competitions during peak, winter months. Too much sun (if there’s such a thing), surf, and sand? The Polynesian Cultural Center is close by.
3. Avoid the bustle of more frequented European beaches for Lanzarote, easternmost of the Spanish Canary Islands, this jewel is steeped in art-based history and known as the Island of Eternal Spring. Host to Europe’s first underwater museum, a perfect homage to artist and architect Cesar Manrique’s birthplace, Lanzarote also features El Diablo; a restaurant atop an active volcano. In case the beach wasn’t hot enough.
4. Arguably one of Canada’s most famous spots, Long Beach, Vancouver Island is host to pristine beaches, ancient rainforests, abundant wildlife, and indulgent spas. A UNESCO biosphere reserve, Long Beach is also best for storm watching during the winter months; the perfect cozy activity from inside one of the island’s premier resorts, the Wickaninnish Inn.
5. We’re just heading into peak season at Ngapali Beach, Myanmar. Lasting through March, the “winter” here offers idyllic palm-lined white sand and clear blue water beaches. Off the Bay of Bengal, Myanmar’s premier beach getaway is the get-away-from-it-all spot. Caught between fishing village charm and world-renowned accommodations, Ngapali appeals to sunbathers, peace-seekers, and watersport aficionados alike.
Where’s your best beach getaway spot? Share with us!