We’ve rounded up our top five picks for places to sip, savour, and enjoy the remainder of summer on sun-drenched patios for every budget.
1. Reflections Outdoor Restaurant and Lounge (pictured) offers a tranquil oasis of wood, firelight, and shimmering water amongst the concrete surroundings of Vancouver’s rooftops. Nestled on the 4th floor of the Hotel Georgia, Reflections is downtown’s hidden gem for sipping the afternoon away with artisanal cocktails. Spanish-style share plates based on locally-sourced West Coast ingredients and a well-appointed wine list round out the bar menu.
2. Downtown’s other darling, Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House boasts a comfortable rooftop patio overlooking the entertainment of Robson Street. An iconic Vancouver establishment for over 25 years, Joe Fortes offers up classic American cuisine with the freshest and finest in seafood from around the Pacific Northwest. The patio itself is an ode to its West Coast heritage: laid-back luxe with plenty of buzz.
3. Find yourself in the picturesque garden setting of Vancouver Art Gallery’s Café for delicious, fresh eats that are both local and organic. The cafeteria-style Gallery Café offers live classical music and whimsical design for an all-together luscious afternoon among the flora.
4. The cheerful red umbrellas that mark Tap and Barrel’s chill patio in Olympic Village shield patrons from the sun, while allowing for fantastic views of some of Vancouver’s best landmarks: False Creek, Science World, BC Place and Rogers Arena. The Tap and Barrel features a continuously rotating tap to serve up an ever-changing menu of seasonal brews from BC’s best breweries. Savour long into the night alongside one of their cozy outdoor fireplaces.
5. There’s several around the lower mainland, but our favourite Boathouse Restaurant is in Kitsilano. With the best patio of the bunch, it’s perfectly situated overlooking Vancouver’s busiest beach scene and the ocean beyond. The heated, covered patio is open both summer and winter so you can indulge in great views and scrumptious pub food all year long.