The City of Vancouver regulates how property is used and developed through something called “zoning.” The city is divided up into many different zoning districts and each has its own set of bylaws and schedules that determine the purpose of that particular district, building regulations, and other aspects of development. Learn more about the city’s zoning districts here.
Want to know what zone your property or one you’re interested in is part of? Check out the city’s official directory.
So you know what a zone is and which one you’re a part of. Next step: rezoning. There are three types of rezoning:
1. Create a custom, site-specific zone
2. Change the zoning of an area from one standard zoning district to another
3. Change the rules about what is permitted within a specific zone
Once you’ve chosen how you want to rezone, it’s time to inquire and apply:
2. Submit a written enquiry
3. Attend a pre-application meeting
4. Submit your application for rezoning
Find out how the city processes rezoning applications here.